What is to be done about Everything

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 30 11:19:06 PST 2001

Gar Lipow wrote:

> Dealing with the guys in charge better include considering the
> possiblity that they won't always be in charge -- unless you
> think they are eternal, their control unchangeable.

This is obscurantist. _For the time being_ (while the killing is going on) their control is unchangeable. That is why we have to plan for the future in terms of establishing a political thrust that will grow beyond the present. It is also why concern with public opinion _as of now_ will make you politically irrelevant. We have to put forth a program that will become powerful with a changing, not a static, public opinion.

Everyone tends to ignore one part of my original post. NOthing we do now will affect the killing that is going on now. To pretend otherwise is supremely fatuous; to acknowledge this fact is no more fatalistic than to acknowledge that next year's winter wheat acreage has already been determined by planting a couple of months ago.

Carrol