Rumors Abound Of @Home Shutdown

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Fri Nov 30 17:57:01 PST 2001

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: ravi <gadfly at home.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:41:10 -0500

>a bit of news that might affect @home users and probably folks like
>doug who run mailing lists:
>
>http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/0,,8_929681,00.html
>
>ISP News
>Rumors Abound Of @Home Shutdown
>By Jim Wagner
>
>Rumors abound over reports @Home (NASDAQ:ATHM), the largest cable
>Internet service provider (ISP) in the U.S., will shut down its cable
>network on Friday, a move that could strand millions of high-speed
>subscribers.
>
>@Home officials, as well as officials from Cox Communications (
>NYSE:COX), Comcast Corp. (NYSE:CCZ) and AT&T Broadband ( NYSE:T), were
>unavailable for comment. The three providers all have subscribers from
>their networks on the @Home service, a holdover from a time when all
>three participated in an experimental cable ISP experiment.

Heard about this earlier today when one of the software developers we have working on a project called to ask me if I had received the most recent build (which I needed to package in an installer). She was afraid that her service was going to be cut off because of a bankruptcy and court order.

If the rumor is true, the "new economy" seems to be going down in flames (and that has absolutely nothing to do with September 11).

Peter Kosenko