Patriotism and History

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 02:06:08 PDT 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Please note that I said national security, not imperial security.
>>The number one strategic aim of any sovereign state's armed forces is
>>defense of the, er, homeland. The fact that we have now created a
>>*new* cabinet-level post to do the job that the secretary of
>>defense was already supposed to be doing is ludicrous.
>
>We hadn't had an attack on the homeland in 60 years - on the northern
>mainland since like forever. Isn't that a pretty long string?
>
>Doug

That seems post hoc thinking to me, but the main point is, that string is now broken, and any group worldwide with a serious grudge against the US can see how easy it was to break that string. Our true vulnerability has been horrifically exposed, and our elaborate defense apparatus stands revealed as a Maginot Line, a wildly expensive delusion.

Carl