America's Frankenstein

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 02:15:22 PDT 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: America's Frankenstein
>Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:03:01 -0400
>
>Ian Murray wrote:
>
>>It's times like these we should thank the anonymous "knowledge
>>workers" that makes for the internet being a tool for informed
>>agitation and organizing....
>>
>>< http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl1820/18200170.htm >
>
>From what I've seen of the Indian press, it seems pretty serious and
>thoughtful, especially compared to the baying idiocy that prevails in
>the U.S. Anyone who knows the scene well - is this a fair impression?

Probably more thoughtful about US politics, but otherwise? I am a loyal reader of the Hindu/Frontline, but it has been accused of less than impartial reporting on the Sri Lankan conflict. The Indian Express is increasingly full of braying Hindutvadis, and some of the north Indian language papers did everything they could to incite violence around the time of the Babri Masjid demolition.

Are you familiar with EPW?

http://www.epw.org.in