lbo-talk-digest V1 #4993

Todd Archer arch0005 at algonquincollege.com
Wed Oct 3 12:32:34 PDT 2001

Doug said:

>I don't think military spending is going to provide much of an
>economic kick, but a $100b stimulus package - including, according to
>the WSJ's Alan Murray on CNBC an hour ago, payroll tax rebates and
>expanded unemployment insurance coverage - will. How much, I don't
>know, but these numbers are getting significant.

Doug (or any other economist types): what do you think the next logical "step" your government would take to get the economy going again, given sado-monetarism (those amazing falling interest rates), income tax reductions, and now what might be a "Keynesian re-inflation" scheme, via the military? Canada is apparently following the States with the latter (albeit, not militarily inspired) and interest rate reduction, too. What would be the next step?

Todd