Chomsky: Reply to Casey

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 3 19:41:45 PDT 2001

This is really strange. Chomsky takes the trouble to answer, point by point, and in remarkable detail, a series of increasingly hysterical charges to one line -- patently obvious -- in his response to Sept. 11 -- and all you can see is "hatred for any and everything to do with the U.S." and an "inability to even reasonably engage with his opponents"?!

This text alone is quite an "engagement with his opponents." And he's spent more than thirty years calling upon his country to live up to his best traditions. He constantly insists that he's writing in America, for Americans. --CGE