The anti imperialism of fools?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 4 09:23:46 PDT 2001

At 03:28 PM 10/4/01 +0000, Carl wrote:
>Sorry, Doug, but all of us Americans have ceded our power of attorney to
>that imperial state, and ultimately we have to bear the consequences. When
>you hang out a sign saying that your government is "of the people, by the
>people and for the people," you the citizen bear inescapable responsibility
>for what that government does. Ignorance of your duly elected agents'
>actions is no excuse.

Sorry, Carl but overthrowing democractically elected governments is the specialite de la maison of the Right. To my knowledge, there has not been a single instance of a Left coup overthrowing a democracy. (We have a better track record overthrowing rotten feudal monarchies, though.)

So whether we like it or not, government is in charge of a modern democratic state. Thinking that it can be replaced with some form of direct rule or anarchy is but a juvenile wet dream.

And that is basically a good thing. We may justifiably question Washington's wisdom in this or that policy matters - but taking back our power of attorney from government amount to capitulating to corporate chieftains and their rightist libertarian mouthpieces.

wojtek