Britain makes 42

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Oct 4 23:48:01 PDT 2001

At 04/10/01 19:37 -0500, you wrote:
>Michael Perelman wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 09:01:16PM +0100, Chris Burford wrote:
> > > Britain, despite all the gestures of solidarity with the USA, has just
> > > become the 42nd state
> >
> > At first I thought that Chris made a mistake. Blair would have to become
> > governor of the 51st state.

One of the reasons why the USA is so opposed to the idea of an International Criminal Court is that it might for example find itself accused of crimes as a result of any adventurist operations in countries like Afghanistan. Supposing it got accused of kidnapping and murder just because it wanted to go it alone without approval of the United Nations.

Blair's grandiose ambitions go higher than being governor of the 51st State, as can be seen by the subtle timing of this announcement, while the camera shots of Blair listening to Bush's speech to Congress are still vivid in visual memory.

Blair not only wishes to continue to punch above Britain's natural weight. He realises he is master of the skills of modern global media politics. In that sense, while Bush was shocked and thrown off his inflexible balance by the WTC bombings, the more psychologically literate Blair moved in is as supportive way as possible.

Power nowadays is more than the size of actual armed forces (though I am interested to learn today that there are 24,000 British troops in Oman)

To quote one book on Conflict Management "Domination is functional only when one person has the power and resources to direct another's understanding to appreciate the situation and its implications, and a willing follower."

The overt agenda is that Blair is supporting Bush. The covert agenda is that he is leading the whole unfolding scenario.

Blairs ambitions are higher than that of governor of the 51st state. And higher than that of President of the USA.

Chris Burford

London