Chomsky takes down Hitchens

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 6 03:38:13 PDT 2001

>As for positive Western values, tolerance of various religions is one I
>think bin Laden (who was declared a jihad against the Christian and Jewish
>world) probably lacks a great affection of.
>
>-- Luke

Yes, the theme of Western tolerance of various religions really lit up the sky when Bush described his anti-terrorism campaign as a "crusade." I will say one good thing that may come out of this mess is Americans' rethinking their reflexive attitude that the world can never have too much religion. IMO, perhaps the most precious freedom is freedom from religion.

Carl