Anti-war List and Web Resource (was Re: Local Anti-War Activities)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 6 08:16:30 PDT 2001

Kelley wrote:

>nope. i've decided to donate at least 5% of my raise to these
>things, if not 5% of my yearly income. cindy would probably donate
>the space, but she's a struggling business and it's only 100$ for
>the year and 15$ for the reg. she'll set up an independent
>discussion list for us as well. if you'd like to share duties and
>learn how to administer it -- great! it's not too hard. i'm going to
>look into userland software-- i think it's "community" software that
>let's members login and change their websites as they wish. not sure
>though.

Keep me posted on this. Believe it or not, finally this year I taught myself to create & maintain rudimentary websites; and to host & manage e-lists. I have yet to learn to do anything fancier than uploading texts & pictures & providing links to other sites. However, I consider this (& putting my books into the alphabetical order) to be no small achievement -- now, if I get a driver's license on top of this, I may catch up with the march of Progress yet. :->

>>There have been other sites for the same purpose (e.g., Nowar
>>Collective), but I think there's virtue in having more sites like
>>them, as the state may try to shut down some of them.
>
>yep, mirrors. however, if it's redundant, if there's no need for a
>general space for orienting people from communities all over, then
>it may not be worth it because it's just liquidating and scattering
>communities. i'm not sure. you might know better. i just don't have
>time to canvass the web to see who's doing what. if you have
>pointers, i'll do requisite research. i have a big project to finish
>this weekend, so can get to it monday.

This is a judgement call -- there may or may not be a need for a new site. It's my sense, though, that we have a variety of coalitions sprouting all over, which may or may not know one another's existence. I don't know if anyone has time enough to "canvass the web to see who's doing what" -- if it is to happen, it has to be a collective effort.

Yoshie