citizenship

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Oct 6 09:17:02 PDT 2001

At 11:59 AM 10/6/01 -0400, Chip Berlet wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am not adopting all of Yoshie's ideas or criticisms of Dennis. I am
>point out that a lot of progressive groups are careful not to use the term
>"citizens" when organizing--especially immigrant rights groups.

I was pointing out that further criticism had not attended to the fact that Dennis recognized his mistake.

>A lawyer on the list can help me out (I am not a lawyer - ABA disclaimer)
>but as I understand it, the following list in order starts with the most
>rights and then for each step certain rights and priveleges are reduced:
>
>U.S. Citizens
>Documented persons physically in the US
>Undocumented persons physically in the US
>All three groups comprise all "US persons" under the law, and certain basic
>rights protect all.

thanks. i hope justin or someone knows more. it would be interesting tactic to insist on the use of citizen and demand that the ideal underpinning the C AND BoR be fully realized.

take the word back, like taking the flag back.

kelley