citizenship

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Oct 6 08:59:13 PDT 2001

Hi,

I am not adopting all of Yoshie's ideas or criticisms of Dennis. I am point out that a lot of progressive groups are careful not to use the term "citizens" when organizing--especially immigrant rights groups.

A lawyer on the list can help me out (I am not a lawyer - ABA disclaimer) but as I understand it, the following list in order starts with the most rights and then for each step certain rights and priveleges are reduced:

U.S. Citizens Documented persons physically in the US Undocumented persons physically in the US

All three groups comprise all "US persons" under the law, and certain basic rights protect all.

-Chip

----- Original Message ----- From: "kelley" <kwalker2 at gte.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 11:40 AM Subject: citizenship