fascist?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 6 09:47:09 PDT 2001

>At 11:45 AM 10/6/01 -0400, Chip Berlet wrote:
>
>>I agree with Yoshie that all progressive forces need to fight
>>against fascist states. There is disagreement over whether or not
>>any fascist states exist today.
>
>no one here disputes this, do they?
>
>>I would argue the Taliban regime in Afghanistan qualifies as clerical
>>fascist, but as this list has demonstrated, this view has its critics.
>>I would add my view that the same applies to fascist political and social
>>movements. Also controversial terrain.
>
>but armed struggle?
>
>i'm recalling the time charles said something like: it may come down
>to the detroit militia duking it out against the michigan militia.
>
>kelley

My question more specifically concerned the Chinese state. If the Chinese state were indeed a fascist state, as Dennis P. argued, I'd think that (1) it should be an obligation of all anti-fascists -- Marxists, anarchists, & others -- of all nations to wage war on it (as they did in the Spanish Civil War); & that (2) it would be justified for anti-fascists to argue for military & other interventions by liberal democratic states, however imperialist they might be (as the Popular Front did). However, while calling the Chinese state fascist, Dennis P. paradoxically says he won't stand for any imperial interference in it. Why?

Yoshie