the contradictions of enduring freedom......

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Sun Oct 7 11:22:31 PDT 2001

[snip]

But last week Mr. Fitzwater said in an interview that he did not necessarily feel the same way about the war against terrorism. "I think this conflict is going to require a suspension of freedom and rights unlike anything we have seen, at least since World War II," he said.

"It's not what government officials are saying that's the issue," he [Ari Fleischer] said. "It's the type of questions that reporters are asking that's the issue. The press is asking a lot of questions that I suspect the American people would prefer not to be asked, or answered. Is the White House staff going to keep secret sensitive or classified information? I certainly hope so."

[snip]

< http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/07/national/07PRES.html >