the contradictions of enduring freedom......

Kirsten Neilsen kirsten at Infothecary.ORG
Sun Oct 7 11:59:02 PDT 2001

> "It's not what government officials are saying that's the issue," he
> [Ari Fleischer] said. "It's the type of questions that reporters are
> asking that's the issue. The press is asking a lot of questions that I
> suspect the American people would prefer not to be asked, or answered.

[from a different news story]

But on Friday, Fleischer welcomed the British dossier connecting bin Laden and his al-Qaida network to the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. "Different governments do different things for different reasons and we're pleased to see what they've done," Fleischer said.

Asked why the U.S. government did not directly make the case against bin Laden to its own citizens, Fleischer suggested reporters were the only ones interested. "I'm not sure that there's a clamor from the American people," he said.

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2001/10/05/threats/index.html