Ex-King shocked by attack

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 7 12:52:05 PDT 2001

Monday October 8, 1:09 AM

Ex-Afghan king "shocked, saddened" by attack: aide

ROME, Oct 7 (AFP) - A top aide to former Afghan monarch Mohammed Zahir Shah said Sunday he was "shocked and saddened" by the US attacks in Afghanistan as he watched them unfold on television.

"It's sad. It's of course tragic. You can imagine a person coming from a country, who would feel shocked and saddened by what your country has been led into," the aide, Hedayat Amin Arsala told AFP.

"Now my hope is that it stops quickly and that people are not hurt."

"I really didn't think it was inevitable," Amin Arsala said of the attack, which he said he was watching on television in his Rome hotel.

"We had hoped that it could be prevented... I really can't talk," he added.