WWP

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:20:15 PDT 2001

>Lou Paulsen wrote:

> > will briefly say that our line is that capitalist -rule- has not been
> > restored there, yet, despite the obvious flourishing of capitalist
> > enterprises in China. If you tell us that there are obvious
> > non-revolutionary aspects to the current Chinese leadership, I would
>reply
> > that we've noticed them, but we think they're different from a
> > counterrevolution.
>
>Cheap apologetics on behalf of a vile regime. Well, at least Carrol,
>Macdonald and Yoshie have someone new to play with.

Dennis, this is uncalled for. Lou's tone is measured and reasonable. He offers no apologetics for China here. He says, rather, than it's not capitalist, yet. He didn't say it was wonderful. It is quite possible to say that the Chinese regime is vile and noncapitalist. I would say this myself. I don't know whether Lou would agree, since he didn't say, and I am not familiar enough with the WWP line to guess, assuming, what further thing I also do not know, that he would feel obliged to defend the official line in public. I am sure that the class nature of China is not the most important thing on the table right now. I don't care to get into it. But when someone comes on board and talks like a human being, he should be treated like one.

I will say this too: the WWP, and the ISO, and others I differ with profoundly, since I am not a Leninist and doubt whether there is any point left in calling oneself a Marxist, are doing super work organizing against the war right now. If they are willing to work with others in a nonsectarian way, their efforts should be welcomed. So, welcome Lou. Sorry about some of the static you're getting. I hope you can put up with our motley crew, including liberal democrats like myself.

jks