Time/CNN Poll

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 9 05:50:03 PDT 2001

I wish I had time to hunt down comparative data. I may be that this numbers are about the same as would be prior to 9-11--except for the Arab specific questions, of course.

--

From Time Magazine/CNN poll of 1000 Americans, taken Sept 27

Govt. Action: Favour Oppose

Allow wire-tap phone conversations of suspected terrorists without obtaining permission from the courts: 68% 29%

Allow Law Enforcement to hold people suspected of links to terrorist orgs in jail without bail for an unlimited amount of time: 59% 38%

Allow L.E. officials to intercept e-mail messages sent by anyone in the U.S. and scan them for suspicious words and phrases 55% 42%

Require everyone in the U.S. to carry an ID card issued by federal govt. 57% 41%

Require U.S. citizens of Arab descent to carry an ID card issued by federal govt. 49% 49%

Allow the federal govt. to hold Arabs who are U.S. citizens in camps until it can be determined whether or not they have links to terrorist orgs 31% 65%

Allow L.E. officials to stop people on the street for random searches: 29% 69%

This was more than 2 weeks after the attack that less than 2/3 of the population opposed the idea of throwing them into camps. Large majorities approve expanded wiretap powers.