Lenin

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Oct 9 14:18:56 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood:
> Speaking of thought, and its relation to action, it seems to me that
> antiwar activists right now have to think seriously about what
> message they're conveying. I keep hearing people mechanically
> applying an anti-interventionist template to S11. But this isn't
> simply an imperial adventure abroad, like Kosovo or Kuwait - we have
> to think about just what the right response is to a direct attack on
> us. A simple "No!" won't cut any ice.

I've been kind of surprised at the way 9/11 seemed to fit into so many pre-existing agendas. I'm speaking generally, not just of the Left. Not that anyone cares, but I have had to go off and think about things, await events, see what the new world looks like. It's still not very clear. I sometimes feel as if someone invisible punched me out and broke all my stuff. I can't stand any of the media any more -- on a recent visit I made my hostess turn off the television lest I see the so-called news. I have to admire people who can still metabolize the poison usefully.

Meanwhile I'm still making anarchist oatmeal cookies for FNB -- action, in a sense, not only preceding theory but surviving it as well.