Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

Thiago Oppermann thiago.oppermann at social.usyd.edu.au
Tue Oct 9 22:23:58 PDT 2001

Arvo everyone (I suppose I better live up to Australian stereotypes)

Max wrote:

"International law without international police is meaningless."

I am curious about how you see the present US actions resembling those of a police force.

One key problem with that position is that there does not seem to be a warrant, or the authorization of a court, or even the prospects for a trial. In fact, if the analogy to a police is being drawn, it should be drawn to a secret police, working without transparency and on an unknown assessment of unknown evidence - and with massive political motivation, it should be added.

Would you be happy with such a police force in your town?

If not, then you have already the begining of an answer as to "what should be done."

T.C. Oppermann Dept. Anthropology The University of Sydney