Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Oct 10 04:59:45 PDT 2001

Arvo everyone (I suppose I better live up to Australian stereotypes)

Max wrote: "International law without international police is meaningless."

I am curious about how you see the present US actions resembling those of a police force.

mbs: it's not a police force at all. it's a vigilante operation. its virtue is that it compares well to doing nothing.

One key problem with that position is that there does not seem to be a warrant, or the authorization of a court, or even the prospects for a trial. In fact, if the analogy to a police is being drawn, it should be drawn to a secret police, working without transparency and on an unknown assessment of unknown evidence - and with massive political motivation, it should be added.

Would you be happy with such a police force in your town?

mbs: decidedly not, except in comparison to no police force.

If not, then you have already the begining of an answer as to "what should be done." T.C. Oppermann Dept. Anthropology The University of Sydney

mbs: I would say it's an answer to what should not be done, and that's not enough.