Horowitz/ [nwanarchy]: the muppet / bin laden connection/NyTimes

C P quintanus at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 13:59:21 PDT 2001

>Horowitz responds:
Of course I understand why Chomsky is looked up to by college kids. They
>are ignorant, hormonal, arrogant, and privileged, and possibly on drugs.
>What's your excuse?

I asked him to produce one pro-stalinist paragraph that Chomsky has ever written, given that he's accusing him of being one. He sort of dodged. But also he said that he had never been a Maoist. I thought Ramparts was Maoist - someone definitely told me that. I can't really recognize the differences between the various perspectives except that I view maoism as more aggressive than something like Trotskyism.

>--
FWD from Chris Gual

Finally, here is a letter my friend got from B. Bounds at NY Times: From: Bill Borders <borders at nytimes.com> Subject: error (was Re: correction for friday, sept 28th 2001 issue) In-Reply-To: <20011008001143.16976.qmail at cube.gelatinous.com>

At 05:11 PM 10/7/01 -0700, you wrote:

>in your National section you ran an AP blurb

>titled "California: Journalists Settle Lawsuit"

>You also ran a picture of David Horowitz,

>and identified him as a long time consumer advocate.

>This is incorrect, there is a david horowitz,

>famous for his "Fight Back" tv show, but this is

>not the same David Horowitz in the story.

>The David Horowitz in the story is famous for

>publishing frontpagemag.com, being a conservative

>journalist and most recently this year

>publishing his essay "10 reasons why

>reperatations for slavery are wrong" in many

>college papers, causing controvery.

You are right about David Horowitz. That was an embarrassing error, and I wish we had not made it. We published a correction. But we know that a correction never quite catches up to the original error, which is why we try so hard to get things right in the first place.

Thanks so much for writing, and for holding us to a high standard.

Best, Bill Borders, The New York Times.

----- End forwarded message -----