Talking Points: Humor for the Day! (was: RE: NATO)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 10 22:16:27 PDT 2001

At 09:31 PM 10/10/01 -0700, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>Snit continues:
>
> > the propaganda is to portray us as the victim of agression
>
>Isn't it a little late for that? I mean, Gee Dub already has like what,
>a 400% approval rating?

hmmm. well, i guess i think they want this to be rilly rilly serious so that we'll support this little wacky expansion they're on about. i just don't know. i only heard a snippet on CNN. i just can't pay attention to it, but what little i heard, i felt as if it were said in a way as to be proud of this help from our friends.

<...>
>Are people in the US really expected to be _thankful_ for this?

i'm guessing the average person is. i haven't asked anyone, however, so it's just a guess, but i really can't imagine people get freaked out about it, unless they're rightwingers. not that you are a rightwinger!

but i was thinking, maybe we really do need help with the airspace. after all, we are sending up, what was it?, two fighter jets for most of the major sporting, etc events?

i find it hard to believe that we don't have enough fighter jets, tho.

hmmm.

>[ Kirsten reminds me that it's not "no one" ...
> http://nyc.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=12453&group=webcast ]

yes! i have been calling it the OH Shit Dept.

>I would think that there would be a backlash against this move.

i think so too. there's enough animosity to encroachments on civil rights that i can't imagine too much of this happening. Didn't Feinstein halt work on a bill in Congress b/c of concerns about civil liberties issues. these kinds of actions aren't jumping the gun, as Max thinks, but holding their feet to the fire.

kell