[Fwd: Black America and the Struggle for Peace]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 11 07:12:53 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> My highly unscientific observation of peace meetings and demos is
> that they're dominated by white middle-class peaceniks. Is that true
> everywhere?

This has always been true; it is going to be a very complicated and long-range struggle to get coordination of the black with the black&white parts of the movement. (By "black&white" I mean primarily white groupings which must nevertheless be in principle and potential multi-racial.) But one image.

I forget which year it was, but at some period of heightened intensity an SDS 'front group' at ISU called Students against the War (SAW) was holding a noonhour silent vigil on campus before the student union every day. There were rumors that members of the football team were going to physically attack us. But about 40 yards behind us on the quad there suddenly appeared this line of black athletes. They weren't with us exactly -- but they damn sure eliminated any danger of white jocks attacking us.

Also highly unscientific.

Carrol