[Fwd: Black America and the Struggle for Peace]

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Oct 11 07:44:33 PDT 2001

there was a very similar incident at Rutgers U in 1970 or so. a demonstration of 100 or so planning to occupy the new student union over the issue of allowing non-students to use the facility. A group of frat boys intent on disrupting the affair. And exactly two black students who had never been to a left meeting, before or since, (friends of mine, as it happened) who happened to be very tough guys materialized out of thin air and scared the frat boys away after a couple of well-thrown punches. Little black kids from town exulting over the fracas ("I see hands! I see hands!"). It was sweet.

mbs

I forget which year it was, but at some period of heightened intensity an SDS 'front group' at ISU called Students against the War (SAW) was holding a noonhour silent vigil on campus before the student union every day. There were rumors that members of the football team were going to physically attack us. But about 40 yards behind us on the quad there suddenly appeared this line of black athletes. They weren't with us exactly -- but they damn sure eliminated any danger of white jocks attacking us.

Also highly unscientific.

Carrol