[Fwd: Black America and the Struggle for Peace]

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:15:05 PDT 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: [Fwd: Black America and the Struggle for Peace]
>Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:37:30 -0400
>
>Mina Kumar wrote:
>
>>I have to say this is not my observation, though the fact I live in
>>NYC probably skews my sample. I went to a Brand Nubian concert last
>>night, and the audience reactions to their remarks about the WTC
>>attack (before and after doing Probable Cause!) showed a definate
>>difference by race.
>
>My highly unscientific observation of peace meetings and demos is
>that they're dominated by white middle-class peaceniks. Is that true
>everywhere?

>From where I sit they just seem largely segregated. Organizations like
Third World Within have been doing meetings and demos and are almost all persons of a natural tan. The stuff out of DAN is mostly white. I think "dominated" is not a good word, though I'm sure that's not what you meant. I say it because I've been in organizations in which it was the appropriate word, and I've been extremely impressed by the consciousness of some of the white anti-war organizing.