Charisma

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Oct 11 18:06:11 PDT 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Noam B. Asherr crossposted:

> >From that beacon of scrutiny the New York Times:
> At U.S. Request, Networks Agree to Edit Future bin Laden Tapes
> By BILL CARTER and FELICITY BARRINGER
>
> "Her biggest point," said Neal Shapiro, the president of NBC News, "was that
> here was a charismatic speaker who could arouse anti- American sentiment
> getting 20 minutes of air time to spew hatred and urge his followers to kill
> Americans.

Oiligarchies are so embarassing when they try to think. Charismatic indeed -- there's nothing so hackneyed and dull as a fundamentalist rant. Still, it's no accident that the paid stooges of the oil rentiers would actually regard Middle Eastern fundamentalism as somehow dimly alluring; the latter is, after all, the mirror image of their own petro-Christianity.

On the bright side, the current gang of crooks is too busy getting bookings on "Nightline" to bother about hassling the videogame scene. I await Wolfenstein 3D with properly religious exaltation.

-- Dennis