Ashcroft/DoJ deliberately cultivating paranoia?

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Thu Oct 11 18:18:20 PDT 2001

(Apologies if this has been previously posted--I get the digest)

>From http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel01/101101.htm

> Certain information, while not specific as to target, gives
> the government reason to believe that there may be
> additional terrorist attacks within the United States
> and against U.S. interests overseas over the next
> several days. The FBI has again alerted all local law
> enforcement to be on the highest alert and we call on
> all people to immediately notify the FBI and local law
> enforcement of any unusual or suspicious activity.

I can't help feeling that this is just agtiprop for Ashcroft's so-called antiterrorism bill.

Isn't it poor police procedure to make a press release like this--won't it incite fears and lead to a torrent of groundless reports of "suspicious activity"? And, in the face of an actual threat, won't that seriously hinder real police work to secure the populace? Isn't this kind of vague information better communicated only to local law enforcement?

Anyone in Boston or thereabouts? I remember on 9/21 Ashcroft calling Gov. Swift and the Boston mayor (whose name escapes me now) and stating that there were possible terrorist activities planned for that area that weekend. He was contradicted the next day by an FBI officer who said the Atty. Gen was reading from a faulty translation.

-- Curtiss