"Hate America" Left

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Fri Oct 12 07:06:00 PDT 2001

Now it's Alterman's turn to sniff out the appeasers and traitors in our midst.

"While many nonpatriots share an idealistic belief in a kind of cosmopolitan, humanist internationalism, some--like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson on the right--really do hate this country. These leftists find nothing to admire in its magnificent Constitution; its fitful history of struggle toward greater freedom for women, minorities and other historically oppressed groups; and its values, however imperfectly or hypocritically manifested in everyday life. This became obvious in a few of the immediate reactions we heard in the wake of September 11. How could anyone say with certainty why we were attacked when we couldn't be sure who attacked us? All they could know, really, is why they thought we deserved it.

"This 'Hate America' left must be rejected for reasons of honor and pragmatism. It is difficult enough to 'talk sense to the American people' in wartime without having to defend positions for which we have no intellectual or emotional sympathy."

Who is Alterman speaking of? Who are the members of the "Hate America" left -- Chomsky? Zinn? Cockburn? Sontag? Said? He doesn't say. But he does go after the callous remarks of those on the right, primarily his two fav targets (now worn with use), Andrew Sullivan and Michael Kelly. Reviewing the latter's recent slanders against "pacifists" who are effectively "pro-terrorist," Alterman states,

"But in neither column could [Kelly] find the space--or the courage--to name a single one."

Gee, him too?

http://thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011029&s=alterman

DP -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20011012/67266284/attachment.htm>