"Hate America" Left

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Oct 12 09:18:59 PDT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Angelita Manzano wrote:

> I know exactly what Alterman is talking about. Here's
> an example of that attitude:
> http://www.feminista.com/v4n6/craft.html
>
> I hear this elitist, obnoxious, disdainful attitude
> mostly in conversations. Most people don't put it in
> writing, as Nikki Craft does.
> -Angie

I took a look at this. Here's a snip:

>>The posts I'm making on lists and to individuals are not
>>meant to obtain sympathy for the US. I don't think what
>>happened in Washington/New York is any more tragic than
>>what has been going on in Iraq where, according to UN
>>figures, 5,000 children are dying per week due to the
>>U.S. destroying their infrastructure and the economic terrorism
>>that's been going on there for many years.

So let me get this straight: it's elitist and obnoxious for people to be concerned about the death of innocent children in other nations? If you point out the horror and misery provoked around the world by U. S. foreign policy adventures you "hate" America?

I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode. Have people lost all capacity for rational thought?

Miles