"Hate America" Left

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Sat Oct 13 03:13:24 PDT 2001

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> P.S. Last yr. I was in Santa Cruz, a comrade of Nikki Craft, protesting the,
> "Miss California, " (aka Myth California) pageant, showed up with a great
> suit made up entirely of raw steaks knitted together. It was a hot day. They
> browned a bit during the days events. Next yr. the pageant moved to Eureka
> or some other rural town not full of lefties/feminists and other
> malcontents.

Sounds like the Jana Sterbak "Meat Dress". The institution at which I formerly earned my keep bought one of those. I'm amazed that I remembered her name after so long, but it rolled right off my tongue - probably because I remember writing the check for the piece, as well as checks on a couple of occassions to local mom-and-pop butcher shops for large orders of flank steak. (They took quite an interest in the project, as you might expect.) A number of staff members got involved in sewing the steaks together. And there was a large purchase of salt to cure the meat, so it could be displayed in the gallery for a few months without rotting, which was handled by a couple of the museum's art installation technicians.

http://www.artsconnected.org/uia-bin/uia_doc.cgi/thick_art/xwac93.54.1-.3

(There's a link to an image at the bottom of the page.)

--

/ dave /