ADA LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Oct 13 09:58:41 PDT 2001

ADA LEGISLATIVE ALERT

October 12, 2001

ANTI-TERRORISM BILL GOES FROM BAD TO WORST

Earlier today, the House passed a rule allowing for consideration of an anti-terrorism bill (HR 3108) that was crafted at 3 A.M. this morning. This new bill bears no resemblance to the bipartisan, carefully negotiated Conyers-Sensenbrenner bill (H.R. 2975) which was passed out of the House Judiciary Committee last week. HR 3108 mirrors the Senate's recently passed bill.

We understand that H. R. 3108 allows: Wire tapping by the CIA; evidence from illegal wire taps to be introduced in court; no two year sunset provisions; and it allows the sharing of grand jury evidence without a court order. In addition, there is a, "black bag" provision, which would allow law enforcement officials to secretly search an individual's home (or e-mail) without notice or permission.

Due to these glaring deficiencies, this bill will infringe on the civil rights and civil liberties of the American people. We must ask our Representatives to protect the Constitution and protect every innocent American so unintended consequences do not occur.

ADAction: Contact your Representative and urge him/her to oppose and vote against the House hybrid anti-terrorism bill, H. R. 3108.

25