JOE STIGLITZ: THE GLOBALIZER WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 14:25:47 PDT 2001

>From: "Chris Kromm" <ckromm at mindspring.com>
>
>On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:42:02 -0400, greg at gregpalast.com wrote:
>
>TODAYS WINNER OF THE NOBEL PRIZE IN ECONOMICS
>
>The World Banks former Chief Economists accusations are eye-popping
>- including how the IMF and US Treasury fixed the Russian elections
>
>by Greg Palast The Observer, London October 10, 2001
>
>"It has condemned people to death," the former apparatchik told
>me. This was like a scene out of Le Carre. The brilliant old
>agent comes in from the cold, crosses to our side, and in hours of
>debriefing, empties his memory of horrors committed in the name of
>a political ideology he now realizes has gone rotten. ...
>
>Stiglitz is no conspiracy nutter ranting about Black Helicopters.
>The man was inside the game, a member of Bill Clintons cabinet as
>Chairman of the Presidents council of economic advisors.

What? "A political ideology he now realizes has gone rotten"? It always was rotten. Stiglitz seems a pretty slow student for a Nobel laureate, albeit a recipient of the Bank of Sweden Prize in Capitalist Apologetics instead of a *real* Nobel prize. Stiglitz is shocked, shocked to learn the IMF uses brutal intimidation? This kind of cluelessness goes way beyond the "absent-minded professor" ingenuousness that Doug claims for the man. Stiglitz's remoteness from the real world seems more suggestive of the Boy in the Bubble's utter isolation than mere ivory-tower detachment.

Carl