Afghanistan/oil?

Angelita Manzano angiemanzano at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 15:32:52 PDT 2001

I'm reading this article, which I think is very informative:

http://www.iranian.com/Opinion/2001/June/Afghan/index.html

I found it at this site (collection of documents about Afghanistan from UCBerkeley): http://mosaic.echonyc.com/~onissues/su98goodwin.html

I have a question for you. Some of the things I've read say that Afghanistan is one of most "mineral rich" countries, others say that there's not much of monetary value (besides opium) . . . and a some activists say this all boils down to oil . . .

Can someone point me to an article, or some reference that will clarify this for me? I'm really trying to find out as much as I can, make sure I'm getting a clear picture of the situation.

===== ". . (A)ctivists must begin by rallying support for what they favor, not simply emphasizing what they're against. In these times, war is a failure of imagination -- and so is the traditional peace protest. Folks need to hear the better alternative. . . .There's no reason a vision of a world of greater peace and economic justice cannot be wed to what makes strategic sense. We should, in fact, demand it." Geov Parrish,