Afghanistan/oil?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 14 15:39:27 PDT 2001

Angelita Manzano wrote:

>I have a question for you. Some of the things I've
>read say that Afghanistan is one of most "mineral
>rich" countries, others say that there's not much of
>monetary value (besides opium) . . . and a some
>activists say this all boils down to oil . . .

Partisans of the oil angle, I have a question. The U.S. was attacked, and it's not implausible that it was planned by ObL, who is based in Afghanistan, and that his operatives were trained there. So it's not outlandish that any response be directed there, whatever it may be. So how's the oil angle fit into that? Did the CIA concoct the attack to justify a war on Afghanistan? Is it just a happy coincidence? Or are people just in the habit of invoking oil as the Real Secret Reason for everything that happens?

Doug