Obsololete left -- was : Cooper weighs in

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Sun Oct 14 19:02:20 PDT 2001

From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
> Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:
> >
> > We should be making the
> > point that militarism is not at all a useful way to assure the
safety of
> > the US public. That we need to be thinking of how to address the
> > authentically legitimate grievances of people in much of the less
> > developed world, including the Islamic parts of it, and, in
particular,
> > and as a preliminary gesture of good faith, we need to be making
efforts
> > to compel Washington to compel Israel to make drastic,
fundamental,
> > constitutional changes that would be substantial democratic
concessions
> > to the Palestinians.
> >

> Do it! Don't just sit there and urge others to do it.
>
> Carrol
>
> P.S. "Peacenik" is a bit of bourgeois jargon that should be avoided
just
> as "n-word" and "kike" are avoided. It has the same sort of purpose.

===============

Apropos,

Came across this letter to the editor in the New York Review of Books..............

The New York Review of Books October 18, 2001

AN URGENT MATTER By Alan Sokal, Frederick C. Crews To the Editors:

Readers who grasp the folly of a military assault on Afghanistan are urgently requested to make their views known at once to:

President George W. Bush president at whitehouse.gov Secretary of State Colin Powell secretary at state.gov Since any expression of opposition will be tallied, and none will be answered beyond an automatic acknowledgment, the wording of your message is immaterial. Just let your opposition be known!

Frederick Crews

Berkeley, California

Alan Sokal

New York City