Right Advice

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Oct 15 10:41:20 PDT 2001

From: "Dennis" <dperrin13 at mediaone.net>

> I'm also an anarchist, but the thought of displaying an American
flag at a
> rally or teach-in doesn't really offend me. Like I said, I have no
real
> attachment to flags of any kind (not even the hallowed Black Flag),
but I am
> interested in reaching Mr. and Ms. Average American, and if showing
the flag
> makes puts them at ease and makes them receptive to the arguments
that come
> after, then I'm all for it. I'm not talking about going
gonzo-doodle-dandy,
> but would it have truly offended those at the SF teach-in Raimondo
attended
> to have had at least *one* flag on display?

============ How about 2 flags. 1 the 'stars and bars' and the other the peace version of the 'stars and bars' and then opening the talks with the question of how to get from one to the other. Questions like "how come terrorists don't attack Sweden or Switzerland or Canada or the Netherlands"? might help reframe at least a few of the issues regarding the touchy issue of empire. Then move from the strengths of US diplomacy to it's systemic weaknesses and outright failures; no need to place blames or be mean but just tell the story letting the audiences know that until the citizenry is *far* more engaged on "foreign" and "domestic" policy issues, the arrogance of the elites will reproduce itself ad nauseum and more innocent people all over the planet will continue dying. Then we can go into oil, geostrategy, alternative energy, poverty, public investment, other green stuff yaddah yaddah. Again, no need for blaming, just pointing out opportunities missed that now *must* be seized upon if we're to have a safer future for all.......

Ian