Right Advice

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Oct 15 13:06:08 PDT 2001

At 12:45 PM 10/15/01 -0700, Miles Jackson wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, kelley wrote:
>
> > i'd like to reiterate this: please explain what's wrong with
> > reappropriating the flag to symbolize another aspect of "american-ness"
> >

>If we try to reappropriate a symbol, there is no way to make sure it
>symbolizes another aspect on "american-ness", is there? The public
>will tend to treat it as a reiteration of the old meanings.

nope. so? we can't nail down meanings anyway, which is the point.

queer fag butch dyke bitch chick girl babe broad lezbean

didn't stop them, did it? and it flies in the face of every sexist conservative wanker i've ever met to be able to use those words just as i please because i used them and took the power he had to use them at and against me.

i'm not saying it's the answer to everything, it's just that there's no reason to take it back and use it to uphold something else which can be precisely anti-nationalism. a flag is simply not only and always about nationalism since the anarchist have their black flag. (and they have plenty of other symbols and tests of admission to the ranks of true believers)

so gimme a break.

kelley