Fish weighs in

ravi gadfly at home.com
Mon Oct 15 12:49:09 PDT 2001

Mina Kumar wrote:

>> Condemnation Without Absolutes
>> BY STANLEY FISH
>>
>> CHICAGO -- During the interval between the terrorist attacks and the
>> United States response, a reporter called to ask me if the events of
>> Sept. 11 meant the end of postmodernist relativism. It seemed bizarre
>> that events so serious would be linked causally with a rarefied form
>> of academic talk.
>
> What a bizarre understanding of the purpose of philosophy.

i dont understand your response. whose understanding of the purpose of philosophy do you can call bizarre? fish's? what do *you* think is the purpose of philosophy?

--ravi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- man is said to be a rational animal. i do not know why he has not been defined as an affective or feeling animal. more often i have seen a cat reason than laugh or weep. perhaps it weeps or laughs inwardly - but then perhaps, also inwardly, the crab resolves equations of the 2nd degree. -- alasdair macintyre.