Fish weighs in

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 17 20:34:43 PDT 2001

At 03:37 PM 10/15/01 -0400, Mina Kumar wrote: It seemed bizarre
>>that events so serious would be linked causally with a rarefied form
>>of academic talk.
>

>What a bizarre understanding of the purpose of philosophy.

i sent this to a friend, who really like the essay, even though he's not a fan of stanley fish. we were talking about it further and i realized that i'd forgotten to point out that there seems to be a misunderstanding here.

Fish said that he thought it odd that anyone would think an event would be _causally__linked_ to postmodernist relativism--that S11 was something that could put an end to a "rarefied form of academic talk" or, my spin, even signal the end of a "rarefied form of academic talk".

so, i think it was a misreading that sparke dthe whole convo!

slip sliding along the signifying chain,

kelley