Angst filled intellectuals

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Oct 17 12:31:43 PDT 2001

At 02:39 PM 10/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Sontag is certainly the archetype of that kind of figure that Johanna
>mentions, but that's not necessarily a criticism. Said is as well. What's
>wrong with being angst-filled, doubt-torn, and anguished?

Nothing is wrong with that except when it's just a pose--which, in both Sontag's and Greenblatt's case, it is.

As for the Kafka quote. I know it's from Kafka, but I believe in Kafka it's the singular not the plural. At any rate, neither Sontag nor many others striking similar poses are members of any subordinate groups.

Joanna B.