Fascism & "Counter-Terror" Re: Anti-War Movements

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 17 16:16:59 PDT 2001

>At 11:36 AM 10/17/01 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>Of course, the U.S. could bug out of Saudi Arabia, stop giving aid to
>>Israel, stop killing off Iraqi, pull its troops out of Okinawa and the
>>Canal Zone, and so forth. Eventually, why not now? But I wouldn't hold
>>my breath.
>>
>>Carrol
>
>which probably won't solve any problems. they'll be just as keen to
>use their power and control of oil to establish a nation state, no?
>they're just a bunch of wannabe capitalist reactionaries who know
>exploit both charismatic power and methods of modern
>bureaucratization. a terrorist network is organized along the same
>principles as the CIA. but they recruit via charismatic
>leadership--patrimonial rule.
>
>they're Joseph D'Maistre with oil and Machiavelli's Prince near the
>Qaran, if chip's right. So, we'll have a fascist state on our
>hands with how much of the world's oil?
>
>The left has to fight fascist states, right?
>
>kelley

It appears that Carrol & I do not agree with Chip on what fascism is. If anything, I suspect that fascism, if it ever arises again in the future, may emerge in the USA in the guise of "counter-terror."

That said, I don't mind at all if you think of a state controlled by Islamic fundamentalists as either "fascist" or "clerical fascist," as long as you are prepared to back up your words with appropriate deeds (= following in the footsteps of anti-fascists in the Spanish Civil War). Otherwise, it's rather pointless to call it "fascist," as such liberal usage will dilute the power of the term.

-- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>