Anti-War Movements

Todd Archer arch0005 at algonquincollege.com
Thu Oct 18 07:34:34 PDT 2001

Mater Superior Kelley !{)> said:

>yeah, but if they'd done the same to "wall st." about white collar crime
>and insider trailing rings or a gang in the business of money laundering
>and trafficking in women, then it'd be okay, right?

Not sure what you're getting at here. Please explain?

>see, if the US government had done everything right, and it still turned
>out that the Taliban wouldn't cooperate to let an International Police
>force get ObL Inc, then no one could whine -- except people who follow
>Carrol in arguing that the entire justice system is fucked. Would you
>really find it repulsive if, in the end, those police forces had to use
>guns and various weapons to get these guys? it's not likely that they'd
>give themselves up. it would have entailed a limited war, anyway.

No, I wouldn't have screamed at a judicious use of LEGAL (or something close to it) force (say, for talking purposes, sanctioned and observed by the U.N.). This is all assuming the U.S. came clean with the proof linking ObL to the bombing. If a criminal holes himself up in a building, that's why you call in SWAT teams.

>and, like i said before, what _are_ you going to do if this network isn't
>busted up and we continue to be plagued by terrorist attacks? eh? it's
>quite likely. google info on terrorism and CIA reports. there's a lot out
>there from 1980s. read up on it. take it with a big huge salt lick of
>course. figure that half of it is right. figure that this isn't just about
>political terrorism, but about a crime ring engaged in trafficking in
>women, in gun and weapons smuggling, in various kinds of credit card fraud,
>etc.

That's what the law is for, and duly appointed officers of the law; not the sort of vigilante justice going on in Afghanistan. Christ, it reminds me of the story of the Black Donnelys here in Ontario. I'm not overly familiar with the story, but the Donnelys were a family of thieves and brigands, well known for criminal ways (in the story, which I'm taking at face value). A mob got together finally and murdered the entire family, men, women, and children (I'm not too sure about that last, though, so don't quote me).

Todd