Apprehending Criminals Re: Doug: "Whuppass those mofos!"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 18 07:55:13 PDT 2001

>C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>>Exactly right. But surely the US is bound by treaty to do that through
>>the Security Council, perhaps by means of a special court like those
>>formed for Lockerbie or the FRY, and SC authorization for the
>>apprehension of the 9/11 criminals. --CGE
>
>Is that a legal requirement, or is the U.S. entitled under
>international law to retaliate against an attack?
>
>Legalities aside, politically and ethically I agree with you; I
>don't support the bombing or what someone called the
>fill-in-the-blanks declaration of war that Congress passed. I think
>people who hold this position, though, have to acknowledge that
>apprehending the 9/11 criminals probably won't be like serving a
>warrant on someone for insider trading; that's where the
>"considerable force" I mentioned to Rick Perlstein would come in.
>
>Doug

Do you support the use of "considerable force" to apprehend those who authorized or committed the crimes of U.S. imperialism (current & former U.S. presidents, congresspersons, generals, etc.)? If so, who is to use "considerable force" _now_ to do the apprehending? If not, why not? Should we "do nothing" _today_ in response to terrors of U.S. imperialism?