Doug: "Whuppass those mofos!"

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:08:56 PDT 2001

>Is that a legal requirement, or is the U.S. entitled under
>international law to retaliate against an attack?

I am not an expert in internationa law, but my understanding is that the UN charter permits the use of force in self defense if a nationa is attacked, but only to the extent necessary to hold of the attafck and invoke collectives elf defense. Analogy: the self-defense defense to homicide applies if youi have to kill someone who is trying to kill you, but not if a reasonable person would have knwon that you could have used lssser force,a nd not if you get out of immediate danger. Unless you are in your home (in some states), you have to try to retreat and call the cops. Basically the UN rule is the same. --jks