Note to the "ladder of force left"

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Oct 18 19:49:14 PDT 2001

> > >Besides, nobody is saying the US shouldn't use force in its response to the
> > >9/11 attacks. ..

Chuck0:
> Ok, I'll say that. I don't think the U.S. has any right to use force in
> response to those attacks. I base my assertion on the following reasons:

I thought as an anarchist you would say that the U.S. had no right to exist as a state, much less do nasty things. The question would then be what kind of political actuality to create out of that denial of legitimacy in a context where many of its people are angry and frightened and desire security or vengeance at almost any price, including their own liberty and sense of decency. The business about rights seems off the board to me. If a state has a right to exist it has a right to kill people; that's what states do, it's their métier.

I don't have an answer to my question, but I am pretty sure it is not going to lie in advising imperial magistrates on the best methods of preserving their estate.

-- Gordon