Note to the "ladder of force left"

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Thu Oct 18 20:48:09 PDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:22:15 -0400 Kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> wrote:

> At 05:03 AM 10/19/01 +0200, Zak McGregor wrote:
> >On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:36:00 -0400
> >Kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> wrote:
> >
> > > nice post. for zak, who apparently missed it,

[snip] Yep, I guess so :-/

> i took this position a while ago. where have you been? i ask some
> tough
> questions here because i fucking get asked them by people i talk to in
> my
> ordinary life. people who want to know why i fucking hate america and
> why
> leftists are a bunch of totalitarian fascists. i'd like to be able to
> talk
> with them without alienating the piss out of them. if i acted like you
> did,
> or said the things you did, i'd never get a hearing.

[snip] Ya shoulda seen the people I got "broken in" with... make me look compromising and accomodating they do ;-)

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of taking compromised positions to win over support. I do try and understand why they want to hear certain things or where they are coming from and perhaps change my approach accordingly, but definitely not my principles. It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.

> i'm talking to people who don't think like us. that's where you are
> completely missing the fucking boat about what i'm saying. i have to
> actually talk to people and i want to persuade people to the notion
> that
> the left isn't always wacky. i'm appealing to something that i think
> ordinary USers can get a grip on. I don't think it's US for them and
> that's
> why i put the words under erasure with the scare quotes. jeesus. learn
> how
> to fucking read. but the fact is people do see at as Us v. Them. if
> you
> read more carefully you'll see that i was saying, "so you think it's
> "us"
> vs. "them".

This makes more sense - I'm honestly not picking a fight with you Kelley, just needing clarification, which I now have...

Cheers

Zak