Note to the "ladder of force left"

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Thu Oct 18 21:19:50 PDT 2001

Zak McGregor wrote:

> For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of taking compromised positions to
> win over support. I do try and understand why they want to hear certain
> things or where they are coming from and perhaps change my approach
> accordingly, but definitely not my principles.

To assert that it's about taking compromised positions vs. not compromising is to mischaracterize the kind of gulf that separates people, esp. those who live 24/7 in an "activist" mindset vs., say, practically everyone else. Rather than thinking it's about compromising one's principles, try imagining instead that you're speaking Italian and they're speaking French. That kind of difference is much more what it's about - we're not even talking dialects here.

--

/ dave /