Note to the "ladder of force left"

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Thu Oct 18 20:09:33 PDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:55:11 -0500 "Lou Paulsen" <wwchi at enteract.com> wrote:

> >Bring those guilty in the September 11th before an international
> court.
> >How? By taking up the Taliban's offers of handing bin Laden over.
>
> (Zak doesn't say how the Taliban is supposed to apprehend Osama bin
> Laden
> once the U.S. has deputized them to go get him. The Taliban's own
> record of
> using force against civilians in Afghanistan is not so great either,
> you
> know.)

To be fair, I was making the assumption that they would only be prepared to hand him over if they were actually capable of doing just that. I hadn't even considered the possibility that the Taliban would need to use force to hand over ObL.

I think it is reasonable to expect that whoever was responsible for the deaths of 6000-odd people on Sept 11th should somehow be made to answer for that. I don't think that that expectation should put me on no steenkin' ladder with no damn Powell!

Ciao

Zak