Churchill

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Oct 18 23:56:50 PDT 2001

At 07:11 AM 10/18/01 -1000, Stephen E Philion wrote:

>---Dennis, I don't think that is how the great majority of lefties
>think.

really? because you seem to be of the same sexist thinking as Churchill. both of you seem to think raising a child is insignificant in terms of time and money. all just worrying about johnny's outfit, big deal, right steve?

in studies of the amount of housework men and women do when they have children, married women do an entire fucking month --720 hrs-- of housework than do their husbands. that's old research. so let's say it's 340. now, you figure out just how much more time someone with child/ren spends than does a grad student with no one but himself to worry about.

when i was doing coursework, steve, i usually pointed out that a critique of the ways in which grad school was sexist was important to all grad students. by recognizing the burden the drain of grad school puts on women in general and women with kids in particular, then we might see just how idiotic the demands of the grad student life were for ALL people. you're sign off to indicate you're a sociologist. is feminist sociology unavailable in Hawaii and Michigan?

i have utterly no use for more worker than thou, my life's more damanding than thou, more racist than thou, more leftist than thou arguments. they're absurd. but the steaming bullshit you just dished up and served smells like sewage even on the fucking Internet.

dennis's point was that yoshie has a workerist notion of activism. no one has said that yosh isn't a worker; she was accused of lacking a structuralist perspective.

which is fine by me, apparently something i said dug deep beneath the veneer and shook her up just a little bit. this might provoke a little passion for a change.